In THis Section

Contact Us

Solid Waste Services
91 New St.
Johnson City, TN 37601
(423) 975-2792

Terri Fleenor, Office Manager


Washington County hosts a household hazardous waste collection day each spring. Items that are accepted include household chemicals, paint thinners, cleaners, pesticides, pool chemicals, flammables, fertilizers and insecticides. Visit the Washington County Solid Waste website or call (423)753-1652 for more information.

FURNITURE AND APPLIANCES - Available to City Residents ONLY
Residents may arrange for furniture and appliances to be collected curbside by calling the Solid Waste Division at (423)975-2792. There is no additional charge for this service, but residents must call to have the items placed on the pick-up schedule. This service is available only to City residents. When placing a freezer or refrigerator at the street for collection, it is recommended that the appliance be placed on its lid or door.

The City of Johnson City does not collect tires due to state law prohibiting the disposal of tires in sanitary landfills. By law, the county is responsible for the disposal or recycling of all tires from its jurisdiction. Tires are therefore accepted at:
Washington County Tire Center, 190 Lancaster Road, Kingsport, TN 37663
Visit the Washington County Tire Center for more information.

Household batteries, both rechargeable and non-rechargeable, will be accepted for recycling in curbside bins and in person at the Solid Waste Services Complex at 91 New St., Monday through Friday from 6 a.m. until 5 p.m. Both battery terminals must be taped securely. Batteries must be placed in a plastic sandwich/storage bag with a zipper seal. If depositing batteries via curbside bins, please place baggies on top of other recyclables in the bin.

The City does not pick up building material or carpet. It is the property owner’s responsibility to dispose of these items. Call Iris Glen Environmental Center at (423)926-8375 for rules and/or rates regarding disposal of these items.

Used cooking oil will be accepted for recycling via curbside bins. Residents are asked strain food particles from the oil and place it in a clear gallon container with a screw-on lid. Lard, shortening and tallow will not be accepted. While used motor oils (NO kerosene, gasoline, brake or transmission fluids, paint thinner, etc.) are also accepted for recycling, they should not be mixed with cooking oils.

Fluorescent tubes and compact fluorescent bulbs (CFLs) will be accepted for recycling in person only at the Solid Waste Services Complex at 91 New St., Monday through Friday from 6 a.m. until 5 p.m. Tubes and bulbs should be placed in original packaging or wrapped in newspaper. Only four tubes will be accepted per visit; there is no limit on CFLs. Tubes longer than 4 feet will not be accepted.

A drop box for unused medications is located in the lobby of the Johnson City Police Department, 601 E. Main St.

Let unused paint dry in can, adding dirt or sand if needed. Place lid back on the can and place in your garbage cart for collection.